Preparing for Degree Completion

Gies College of Business at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign confers (grants) degrees three times a year -- in May, August, and December. You need to submit an application for graduation in your final term in order to place your name on the degree list and receive your diploma.

We recommend that you submit your application for graduation while you are in Student Self-Service registering for your last course(s) for the program. Step-by-step directions for the application to place your name on the degree list are below.

  1. Proceed to Student Self-Service.
  2. Click on “University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC).”
  3. Log in with your University NetID and password.
  4. Click on the “Graduation” tab at the top of the page.
  5. Click “Apply to Graduate.”
  6. Select the appropriate term, then select “Submit.”
  7. Select the program (you should see only one; if more than one appears, be sure to select the correct one).

Continue to follow the instructions on the screen. Be sure that you follow these all the way through, and that you hit a final “SUBMIT” button at the end. Your application for graduation will not be complete until you click that final submission button. The program will communicate deadlines by which you must submit your application for graduation via email.

Tracking Your Diploma

Visit the Receiving your Diploma page through the Office of the Registrar to ensure your personal information is up to date and to track your diploma.

Non-Degree Coursework

Complete a Graduate College Request Form if you have taken courses as a non-degree student. You will indicate this as “transfer credit” and include all details of the coursework you took as a non-degree student (semester/year, CRN, Subject/Course Number). If you have not taken non-degree coursework, please skip this step.

Removal from Degree List

If you have applied to graduate and no longer intend to graduate in your designated semester, you can remove yourself from the degree list. Please go to the Graduate College Forms Directory and select Add/Remove from Degree List under the Graduation Forms section.